By continuing to browse this website or by clicking on the X, you consent to the use of cookies that enable us to collect site-visit statistics and offer you videos, share buttons, personalized ads, and a chat feature. Learn more and set cookie preferences X

FR EN ES
FR EN ES
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Looking closer at issues with Cra

By Telphia April 19, 2017, 12:44:45

I see a pretty fair amount of threads talking about "Cra being OP", and in most of them there are upper level players that respond with a mixture of "get good" and "they have lots of counters".  So what's the deal with Cra?

There's a few things to address.  First, Cra are intended to be a beginner friendly god, and they certainly fill that role: creatures with clear and obvious benefits, spells that are all direct, simple but surprisingly versatile, and generally solid cards that help encourage a mostly "low risk, medium-high reward" playstyle.  Ankama wanted them to be easy, and between them and Iop there isn't a whole lot you need to figure out.  Shoot things, shoot things more, win game.  Unfortunately, them being so easy is bound to create natural conflict with lower level players since they require "no thought", which probably isn't true but definitely seems true.  You don't have to "figure out" nearly as much with Cra as you might with other classes.
Still on this point, I would agree with higher level players: Cra being easy does not make them too strong.

Second is the selling point of Cra:  Ranged Units, and Direct Damage Spells.  Outside of a small handful, just about every spell Cra has access to either deals damage to units (one kills indescriminately), deals damage to Dofus, or both.  Not including Neutral cards, most classes maybe have about 2-4 different cards for minion damage/control, whereas Cra are saddled with about 8.  They definitely have a disproportionate amount of removal at their disposal, and what's even crazier is how wide a range of scenarios they cover: 2 Armor Pierce; 2 + Draw; 1 + Reusable; 3 + 1 on the Dofus; 4 damage; 2 to everything + 2 space knockback; 1 + Ranged Unit; and "It's dead, period".  Eniripsa gets one spell, and it's just "2 damage", and Zaldior is amazing but that costs 7 AP (aka it better be amazing).

But okay, removal everywhere isn't overbearing if the creatures are generally weaker/disadvantaged to make up for it, but then you remember that all of Cra's minions are Ranged, often 1-3.  That's more powerful than First Strike in a lot of cases.  With Cra, your units usually get 2 attacks for every 1 of the enemy's, meaning you need to consider their attack values at least 50% higher than they are actually listed.  3/2 with Ranged can trade evenly with a 4/6, and the worse part is that the Cra creatures aren't even that expensive for all the benefits you're getting.

Now it's all very tricky, because Ranged as a mechanic has strategic answers (play creatures in response, not preemtive) and hard counters (Sram, all over the place), and heavy removal has slightly stragetic answers and definite hard counters (untargetable comes to mind), but when you're playing with both the tide is so stacked against you.
On this point, I think the general playerbase is right: Cra is too powerful.

So, which is the answer?  I'm gonna break the tie here and say that, yes, Cra is too freaking strong.  But I have a solid reason:

Most of the people I've seen that claim that Cra isn't a big deal are usually one of three things:
1 - Sram players: Easily Cra's hardest counter
2 - Iop players: Also a hard counter with charge everywhere
3 - Have decks specifically designed to deal with Cra

See, it's really easy to claim that "Cra isn't that bad" if you're at a point of the game where your deck is both heavily optimized and/or also built very specifically with ways to tackle Cra, but maybe consider players that don't have access to Level 9 Infinites and insane Neutral minions with tons of synergy.  Not everyone is rich enough to have opened or accessed 3 copies of Celestial Gobball, probably one of the overall stronger cards against Cra (high health, untargetable).

And, far as I can tell, if you need to warp some aspect of your deck just to add viability or direct counterplay to Cra specifically, then it's pretty clear that Cra is overall game warping and problematic.

Agree or Disagree?  If you have solutions for Cra, please share your strats and especially some card recommendations.

0 0
Reactions 12
Score : 1201

You could be right but the problem is that currently it's impossible to tell because Cra isn't even a defining factor of the metagame at least not as nearly to a degree as Iop is, and the metagame is the SOLE determiner whether a class is OP or not.

Currently Cra isn't OP because Sram hard counters it and Iop Aggro just blazes past it, and that's a very large part of the meta right there. Now when that stupid Polter gets nerfed which should tone down Iop to be tad more fair maybe Cra will be a much more dominant force in the metagame, but the problem is that it's really hard to predict what a future metagame will look like.

Cra is by no means in a bad spot and is a powerful class, but it's not even the best deck at the moment and trying to nerf decks because they may be too powerful in the future rarely works because that future metagame usually ends up being something completely different than predicted anyway.

I doubt that Cra needs much if anything. Currently close if not half of the classes actually can have good match-ups against Cra - Sram, Iop, Xelor, and maybe Sac (not sure on the Sac vs Cra match-up).

I think in part you may be looking through tinted lenses because a class with removal is going to tend to counter a healing class because they'll make sure they finish everything off preventing you from getting a chance to heal it (Though that aggro Eni on the ladder is terrifying and I have no idea how powerful that deck actually is atm)

1 0
Score : 70

Fair enough, I acknowledge that Eniripsa probably doesn't have the easiest time against Cra (it's been pretty obvious with the matches I've played).  I'm also not savvy enough with the top level of things; my experience with Iop has been about as frustrating but least against that deck I feel like I have the chance to respond.

I guess what I'm getting at is that Cra is in a precarious situation design-wise.  Between Ranged units and tons of removal, their solutions tend to be all encompassing, and while each one is counterable on its own it's insanely difficult to counter both, especially when they compliment each other so well.

What I see with Cra is a strong binary situation:  Your cards either Counter or Hard Counter, or you lose.  My Eniripsa trying to play any kind of "Eniripsa" deck will probably never win, but I might have a better chance if I changed my entire deck to specifically be "Anti-Cra", but that also means I'm being forced to play something I don't really enjoy.  There's just not a lot of opportunities to respond to that style of play without coming prepped with specific answers, and a lot of them.

So, maybe it's not overpowered, but I still think it's pretty warping with its hard binary results.

0 0

Sorry for repost, but I feel like it's worth mentioning that I've literally played 20 Cra players in a row, and lost to every single one.  I've tried lots of different things, but nothing works and all of them are playing the exact same deck.

This class is busted.

0 -1

Add some Royal Moogrrs to your deck. Those things work wonders against Cra.

1 0
Score : 232

I just played about 15 games and 13 of those games were against Cras (Yes i counted) Its just a habit it seems, of Ankama to create broken classes in every game that gets abused and overused and leave things as it is  to turn into the point where the game just becomes routined and boring. Fighting a broken class all day could be frustrating (very) and its not like they put in as much effort as you do to get even close to one of your Dofus'. Cras Are Broken.

Do better Ankama, seriously.

0 0

Cra isn't OP atm. I'm not joking.

Whenever I run into high ranking or legend people, it's not Cra they are running, it's Iop, Iop, Iop, Iop, Sram, Sac, Eni, Iop, Iop, Iop.

Cra is just a low rank stomper until the more aggressive decks higher on the ladder run right over them.

Not that Cra is a bad class, and nerfing aggressive decks could very easily push it into being OP, but currently it's not (though it'll probably be the number 1 ran deck in the tournament since Iop is going to get banned 100% of the time)

0 0

No, the Royal Moogrrs was a great suggestion.  Things are working a bit better now, though I still think the design of the class is problematic.

0 0
Score : -9

If you have below 50% win rate, your opinion is probably bad as well. The game is incredibly infested with baddies at low ranks, that a much higher than 50% win rate is possible for any competent new player. But...You're one of the baddies. No offense....but get good.

0 -1

Way to completely disregard half the playerbase.

"Get good" is probably the laziest response anyone could possibly give.  At least SupersunZeratul recommended Royal Moogrr as a solution, and it actually did a lot of wonders and got to me to question why I ever thought that unit was weak.

So, on the front of critique, I'd probably recommend you "get good".

0 0
Score : 5

Chill MeltedWater no need to be the guy no one invites to parties.

0 0
Score : 1652

I mostly play Eniripsa and if I'm able to get past the first 3-4 turns winning against Cra isn't too difficult. And the most important card in that matchup for me during that early game period, believe it or not, is Pain Flask - not some exotic synergy or rare or infinite card. Okay okay, Alibert doesn't hurt either.

0 0
Score : 1652

and by 'first 3-4 turns' i mean the first 3-4 turns that minions are actually being played because usually cra will skip a few at that start

0 0
Respond to this thread